sábado, 30 de enero de 2016

"Shall I compare you to a summer's day?"

One of the things I love about literature is the power of playing God: creating, destroying, immortalizing, and the most romantic way of doing it is through poetry. This was not a real challenge to William Shakespeare, the master of the English language and literature. He wrote over a hundred sonnets during his life, but this time I am only going to mention one: Sonnet 18.

I do not want to get into deep analysis, nevertheless I want to share this because it shows how to immortalize someone or something through words. Right now I do not care if it was written to his beloved one, or to one of his children, or a random person (in my opinion this can be addressed to anyone), the important part that I want to share is the essence of this poem: to love someone that much that you never want that person to leave. 

This is the sonnet, and I will help you understand some Shakespearean words with a shit glossary at the end of this entry.

ENJOY!

SONNET 18

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? 
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date: 
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd; 
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course, untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st; 
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee. 



Thee - you; object from of thou; used when speaking to one person.
Thou - you, used when speaking to one person.
Art - In the past, the second person singular of the present tense of "be".
Hath - In the past, the third person singular form of the present tense of "have.

2 comentarios: